Graduate Assistant, Brown Center for Leadership & Service
This Graduate Assistantship will assist with coordinating leadership development opportunities, community engagement initiatives, and service-learning programs and services for students. Located within Student Engagement, this position serves Student Activities & Involvement, and the UF community by providing opportunities for connection and meaningful experiences for all students.
Area Specific Job Responsibilities
- Assist in the development and implementation of programs, education, and outreach for students and the campus community related to civic engagement, service learning, and leadership development
- Provide guidance for off campus programming (e.g. Florida Alternative Breaks program, Days of Service) that includes but is not limited to program development, risk management, and on-site management
- Assist with recognition programs for volunteers, community service, and community members which would include the Presidential Service Awards
- Coordinate on-going leadership development opportunities and programs (e.g. LeadUF, SAILE)
- Assist with management of the Davis Programs for Peace award process
- Assist in the management of staff and volunteers which includes supervision, training, and evaluation.
- Assist in the marketing and promotion of service and leadership opportunities sponsored by campus partners, community partners, or the Brown Center for Leadership & Service
- Assist in the assessment of current department programing
- Provide support for programs and initiatives of the Brown Center for Leadership & Service and Student Activities & Involvement, as requested
- Serve on University committees, as requested
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year institution
- Admitted as a degree-seeking graduate student at the University of Florida
To Maintain the Assistantship:
- Maintain a 3.0 or better GPA each semester
- Meet the minimum course registration requirements for each semester of appointment
- Must be enrolled in nine (9) credit hours of graduate course work during the fall and spring terms.
- Throughout the contract dates, this position will require 20 hours per week which may include occasional night and weekend hours, and the potential for additional time required during peak periods such as the beginning and end of each semester.
- Students admitted or enrolled in the Student Personnel in Higher Education (SPHE) academic program area
- Previous experience with service or leadership programming
- Previous experience in event planning (e.g. workshops, activity based programs, collaborations)
- Experience working within a collegiate setting; this may include undergraduate involvement in service learning or community service, campus activities, programming boards, or similar experience
- Demonstrated effective oral, written, and presentation communication skills
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment requiring exceptional customer service skills
Remuneration & Additional Information
- Tuition for up to nine (9) credit hours per semester plus the current UF minimum salary for a 9-month Graduate Assistant appointment.
- The contract will be valid August through May
- Opportunity for hourly summer employment may be available
- Graduate students have access to health insurance through the University.
- Florida is one of the few states without a state income tax.
For more information about this position contact StudentEngagementEmployment@ufsa.ufl.edu.