Graduate Assistant, Sorority & Fraternity Affairs
This Graduate Assistantship provides developmental advisement to students through the strategic initiatives of scholarship, service, leadership, community, risk management, and facility maintenance. Located within Student Engagement’s Office of Sorority & Fraternity Affairs, this position serves the UF community through engagement opportunities that enhance the Greek life experience.
Area Specific Job Responsibilities
- Assist with advising Greek governing groups (Interfraternity Council, Multicultural Greek Council, National Pan-Hellenic Council, and Panhellenic Council, or Order of Omega) which may include advising aspects of the respective executive board and cabinet officers, chapter presidents, and working with chapter and national officers.
- Assist in providing general advising and serve as a resource person for member organizations and student leaders.
- Assist in advising student leaders and support persons in areas such as chapter management, house management, scholarship, community service, social programming, organization and member accountability, new member development, recognition activities, and similar topics
- Assist with management and coordination of the Florida Greek Standards Accreditation Program including education for chapters, information tracking, and overall assessment of annual chapter statuses.
- Assist with Greek incident cases and the Greek Conduct process
- Coordinate and/or assist with planning and implementation of Florida Greek community events such as Greek Awards Banquet/Program, All-Greek Service Day, and/or Emerging Leaders Conference
- Assist with instruction of Greek leadership courses
- Assist with the planning and implementation of general annual leadership programs, training, and development, including but not limited to Greek Advance and Risk Management and Crisis Management training
- Assist with crisis response for chapters
- Assist with innovation and development of programs to support Florida Greek community
- Review and update policies and procedures in conjunction with Sorority & Fraternity Affairs staff
- Assist with marketing and public relations as appropriate
- Attend scheduled meetings for Sorority and Fraternity Affairs, Student Activities and Involvement, Florida Greek community, as directed
- Serve as an advocate for Greek-letter organizations as appropriate
- Provide support for programs and initiatives of the Office of Sorority & Fraternity, as requested
- Serve on University committees, as requested
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year institution
- Admitted as a degree-seeking graduate student at the University of Florida
To Maintain the Assistantship:
- Maintain a 3.0 or better GPA each semester
- Meet the minimum course registration requirements for each semester of appointment
- Must be enrolled in nine (9) credit hours of graduate course work during the fall and spring terms.
- Throughout the contract dates, this position will require 20 hours per week which may include occasional night and weekend hours, and the potential for additional time required during peak periods such as the beginning and end of each semester.
- Students admitted or enrolled in the Student Personnel in Higher Education (SPHE) academic program area
- Affiliated with a fraternity or sorority on either the undergraduate or graduate level
- Demonstrated knowledge and/or experience in fraternity and sorority life and a commitment to professional standards of behavior
- Previous experience in developing or presenting leadership workshops
- Previous experience in program/conference planning
- Experience working within a collegiate setting; this may include undergraduate involvement in campus activities or serving as an officer of an organization
- Demonstrated effective oral, written, and presentation communication skills
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment requiring exceptional customer service skills
Remuneration & Additional Information
- Tuition for up to nine (9) credit hours per semester plus the current UF minimum salary for a 9-month Graduate Assistant appointment.
- The contract will be valid August through May
- Opportunity for hourly summer employment may be available
- Graduate students have access to health insurance through the University.
- Florida is one of the few states without a state income tax.
For more information about this position contact StudentEngagementEmployment@ufsa.ufl.edu.